Saturday, October 25, 2014

Rockstar Life. #gratitude


 This weekend was Fall CUE in Napa. The weather was beautiful including some much needed rain. 

And every time I leave a conference I usually have a quiet drive home to think. This weekend, I left feeling grateful and was surprised to feel a little emotional. I really missed my family and my puppies. I was also feeling so thankful for all of the AMAZING educators who dedicate their time and energy to sharing and learning all year round. And then I heard this song.


On the outside it might seem like presenting at conferences is kind of a rockstar life. Traveling to amazing locations, presenting sessions and sharing ideas hoping to inspire others to get their students and schools collaborating and creating. I know I am in awe of the knowledge and passion that presenters bring to their sessions.  I count among my friends teachers, directors, superintendents, principals, and more who not only share ideas but also participate as learners. This afternoon I was sitting in a session learning about Minecraft on the iPad. Looking around the room, I saw teachers and teacher leaders taking it all in and looking for ideas to take back and share. 

It's Saturday. And not only are they learning in the session, they're sharing outside the session by tweeting out ideas and resources to the world. 

They do this all the time. 

I'm so thankful to know so many passionate and dedicated human beings. Most of them don't even live near me, but I feel like they are my friends because I see them so often! Today, I think my emotional feelings came from realizing that all of these amazing educators that I get used to seeing all year long, in the summer, and even out of state are taking time away from their families and their jobs to share what they know in hopes that it makes a difference for kids and teachers.

Rockstars? Yes, many names are well-known. But most conference attendees may not realize that ALL of the presenters are there volunteering their time and often paying for accommodations and travel out of their own pockets. 

I am grateful. And I just want them to know. 


Why Landslide? I don't really know, but when I heard it today it made me think. My year has seasons, and things are changing. I'm getting older! I saw my reflection. I love learning and I miss my family. I just want to say thank you to everyone I know who takes time and energy away from their families, their jobs, and yes, even their pets so that I can learn and be inspired. I am thankful to know you. I love to learn with you. And every time I see you I will give you a hug. I hope you take time for you, too. 

Thank you.

I took my love and took it down
I climbed a mountain and I turned around
And I saw my reflection in the snow-covered hills
Till the landslide brought me down

Oh, mirror in the sky, what is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Well, I've been afraid of changing
'Cause I've built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Even children get older
And I'm getting older too



3 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, Jennifer. Thank you for making me feel so welcome at my first Cue Conference. Not only did I learn a lot, but meant many inspiring people as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tammy! It was great to hang out and learn with you! I think the people really are the best thing about attending conferences. :) Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  2. How funny...this is what we recorded on today's PrincipalPLN podcast with Curt Rees as our Inbox Zero Hero!!!

    ReplyDelete