Saturday, July 19, 2014

Teachers Write- July 14th

July 14th started with a fun morning giving a keynote to kick off the #alohagoogle Google Boot Camp in Loomis, California. Then, I rushed home, quickly packed my suitcase, and hit the road for the ocean! On the way I took a peek at the Monday Teachers Write post so I could think about it on my drive. There are two options on Mondays- the mini lesson or a Monday warm up. Later that evening, with the sound of waves crashing outside our room, I finally had a chance to write.

My writing spot in Cambria
Mini Lesson Monday
The mini lesson this time was posted by Donna Gephart and the theme was You CAN write! Basically, the idea was to write a list all of the things you want to write if you had unlimited time. You can check out the whole mini lesson here. One thing I loved was her suggestion to think of-- what's the one project that scares you- write that! 

 Writing lists is one of my favorite strategies, so I quickly jotted a few ideas to think about later...

My writing ideas:

The Little Notebook book
a book written in prose like Out of the Dust
an ABC book of something
a story written in letters
a song parody for 20 dongles in my pocket or talk nerdy to me

Scary:
Something fiction (I never write make believe stuff)
Something personal (I never ever tell my secrets to anyone.)
A book?

Monday Warm-Up

We could also try the Monday warm up with Jo Knowles (check out the post with the complete warm up here). I had never tried using sentence frames to generate ideas, so I gave it a try. I didn't feel super successful-- but here they are! Something to revisit later...

This is a story about a boy who wants to tell you everything there is to know about anything World War II, movies, and ships .
But underneath that, it's about a boy who really wants to be understood.


This is a story about a girl who needs her puppy, things that sparkle, and books.
But underneath that, it's about a girl who really needs a friend.


This is a story about a boy who is afraid of the dark, spiders, and onions.
But underneath that, it's about a boy who is really afraid of failing.

No comments:

Post a Comment