Sunday, July 27, 2014

Teachers Write July 27th: Weekly Reflection


Wow! The week flew by and it’s already time for another reflection. Last week, we reflected on where we write. This week Jen (@mentortexts) has asked us to reflect on when we write. Here are the questions to be posted in the comments section of her blog. Check out the whole post here.

When do you write?
How does reflecting help you assess what's working and what to adjust?
How did you do this week? Did you meet your weekly goal(s)?
What was the pit of your week? (The hardest part, the non-fun part?)
What was the peak of your week? (The best part, the most-fun part?)
What are you looking forward to and planning for the week ahead?

When do I write?
Looking back at the writing I’ve done since TW started, I would say I write mostly in the mornings. But I also realized that when I didn’t have time to write in the morning, I still looked at the post for the day in the morning so that I could think about writing all day. It felt like I was writing in my mind! I actually find that a lot - particularly since I started blogging. I think about writing during my commute, while walking, and even in the shower! Those mornings when I just had time to take a quick glance at the post for the day, I wrote in the evening after thinking all day long. On a few days I even wrote before doing any work related to school, and that felt good. Before TW, I would say I was more of a weekend writer and I blogged a lot on Sundays. I even wrote a U2-inspired post last December about that-- Sunday, blogging Sunday! Which made me realize I also write more over the holidays and vacation breaks.

How did you do this week? Did you meet your weekly goal(s)?
Ugh. I wrote about that in last week’s reflection, which I never posted on Jen’s blog but did write about on Friday! Here’s what I said in that post, “And then I went Las Vegas. I am going to be kind with myself and say that although I didn't do as much writing as I would have liked, I was always thinking about writing!”

What was the pit of your week? (The hardest part, the non-fun part?)
The pit- being too tired to write when I was in Las Vegas. I sat down to write, pasted the questions and link to Jen’s post in my Google doc last Sunday, and knew I couldn’t do any more. A 9 hour drive and 108 degrees zapped my energy. I wanted to write, and then just couldn’t do it.


What was the peak of your week? (The best part, the most-fun part?)
I went to see the Cirque du Soleil show of Love (the Beatles- it was amazing!) and no photos were allowed. The whole time I was wishing I would take a picture and I realized that that is my favorite way to take notes. I was thinking about what I would write about the show the whole time! I’m happy to be home (although I am now back to work!) and to have the time and energy to write.


What are you looking forward to and planning for the week ahead?
I am looking forward to checking in to TW and writing every day. Even if it’s not amazing. I am totally digging being part of this writing community!

No comments:

Post a Comment