Saturday, July 19, 2014

Teachers Write: July 15th

Yesterday's writing prompts were still on my mind. I kept thinking about Donna Gephart's words, 

“First, list every writing project you’d like to explore, as though you have unlimited time and energy...Once you have your list, find the project that scares the heck out of you, the one thing you think you shouldn’t write. Or the project that makes your heart beat a little faster and your cheeks flush with excitement. WRITE THAT!”

This morning, Jeannine Atkins shared that some of the campers might be interested in potentially writing a professional book. Yay! That means there must be others out there- not just me. So far, it seemed like everyone was writing fiction, but I’m just not there yet, although I am trying. Jeanine posted this link for submission proposals for Stenhouse which totally gives me a direction and a plan. I always wondered about how people get started writing a book! I’m excited to start, even if it’s never published. Never in my life did I ever think I would be thinking about a book proposal on my summer vacation. To quote Amy Fadeji, I’m diving in! My idea comes from a professional piece I wrote in 2012 at the Area 3 Writing Project Summer Institute.



Here is a little bit of information from the Stenhouse proposal guidelines and questions that the proposal should answer. Lots to think about!


The proposal also has a second purpose - and a second audience. You are writing to answer basic questions likely to be asked by any publisher reviewing the proposal. These questions include the following:
  • What is this book to be about?
  • What is its intended audience?
  • What writing style will you use?
  • How will your book be organized?
  • What books have been written on this subject, and how will yours differ?
  • Who are you?
  • How long do you anticipate the manuscript will be?
  • How much have you already written?
  • When do you expect to finish the manuscript - or a first draft?
  • Will your book include samples of student writing, drawing or other work?

Have you ever thought about writing a book?


No comments:

Post a Comment