Monday, September 3, 2018

Confessions of a regular girl


You might be wondering about that photo. The tan, brown, and white floral isn't exactly the most amazing image to lead off a blog post... but I'm putting it out there. It's our kitchen tile, desperately in need of a demo day, a sledgehammer, something! Vintage 1987, along with our A/C unit, and our microwave. And today I was loving the time to be in our regular kitchen.

I love to cook, but most weeks I am a serious shortcut chef and rarely make anything more interesting than a bagged salad and chicken. Today as I was chopping and measuring and picking things from our garden, I was also thinking about capturing my day. I took a few pictures. I thought about writing a blog post. But baking and making salads seemed so... well... regular.


And so, I'm writing a post... true confessions of a regular girl. I write when I feel like it, when I'm happy, or inspired. I like to write, but I don't feel like I'm really a writer. My posts are the voice inside my head getting out every once in awhile-- so many more posts are drafted in my mind but never make it to the page.

I think about what I've read about social media and how people only put their best face forward online. I don't know if I agree with that-- I like a good filter as much as anyone. But I do enjoy posts about beautiful places, views from anywhere, families, friends, pets, inspiring quotes, and vacations, filled with positivity.  Having said that, I also enjoy reading raw reflections and admire people who share their inner struggles even though I am not very brave like that.


Today I'm happy. I slept in until 8. I had time to start a new book (have to finish before book club next week!) and discovered it's historical fiction with Johnny Appleseed! I had time to bake zucchini bread. I made a tomato, pepper, and cucumber salad. All with ingredients from our yard. 


My life is not exciting. I love Food Network but a fancy chef I am not. Today I'm finding joy in the little things, the fresh tomato, the first zucchini bread I have ever baked, and the view from our deck.



Just for today, I'm going to ignore the fur on the floor,  the dust, I will hug my puppies, and wait for my chicken to come out of the oven. Tonight, it's a custom dish with Lawry's for Sam and Bacon Chipotle rub for me and Jordanne, separated by a super fancy wall of foil.


Cheers to a three day weekend and finding joy living a regular life! No filter here. 

2 comments:

  1. You really are an excellent writer. Someday you will find the time to write the book that is waiting. You are a gourmet and chef but know when shortcuts are needed to enjoy the meal or event.

    ReplyDelete