Wednesday, January 1, 2014

#oneword

I don't know Jon Gordon. But I liked this tweet. Not the part about 1/2 failing by the end of January. I prefer to operate in a world of possibilities and positivity. Of course people set goals. And many fail. Why? I don't think it's for lack of effort. Everyone wants to succeed, to be healthier, to be happier as they begin a new year. This year, I want to succeed. I want to be the 1 in 10 that kicks a** on my resolution! By the end of January I want to be just getting started!

What did I love about this tweet?I loved the idea of picking #oneword and letting it inspire me all year. When I first read this post, I immediately thought of sparkle. Yes! That's it! I'll sparkle more in 2014! 

I want to sparkle every day. But how do you measure that? If you know me, you know that I LOVE measurable goals. Some days I will sparkle more than others-- it's what I do and who I am. But sparkliness cannot be measured. So, I will sparkle on, but that's not my #oneword for 2014.

#more. 
That's my word.

I want to read more. I want to run more. I want to write more. I want to blog more.
These are things that I can measure. 

Reading. I failed at my Goodreads goal this year--my goal was to read 365 books, and I read 108 in 2013. Not too shabby! But I did not meet the goal I set last January. This year I just want to read more than I did in 2013. So, my Goodreads goal this year will be 109 books. Not 365. But ONE book more than I read last year. I can measure that. Secretly, I'm hoping to blow the doors off this goal. But 109 is doable. Measurable. 

Running. I love it. Really, I'm a jogger. I won't win any races. But it makes me feel awesome! I can count the times I've run since July on my ten fingers and I hate that. This year I want to run #more. I have this cool Nike running app that will tell me how much I run in 2014. I just want to run #more than in 2013. Doable. Measurable. It just means I'll need to make time for me, and I am super excited about that!

Writing. Blogging. I want to write more in 2014! Since leaving the classroom and starting this blog, I have enjoyed the process of gathering ideas, writing, and reflecting. I've written 20 posts since July. Twenty posts in six months, although 12 have been in December! It works out to roughly 3-ish  posts per month on average. So, this year my goal is to blog #more. I'll try for four posts per month. Doable. Measurable. 

So, Jon Gordon, thank you for the inspiration! I look forward to proving you wrong and being the 1 in 10 that succeeds in 2014. I love the #one word challenge!

What's your #oneword?

4 comments:

  1. Jen - My co-worker suggested this monthly online workshop to help stay focus on your one little word http://aliedwards.com/shop/one-little-word-2014 My word is change! I figured if I paid a small fee and got monthly exercises I would stay focused on it. 2013 I was unfortunately one of thos who didn't succeed on my goals. Hopefully 2014 will be more successful. For both of us! Happy New Year! Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Celeste!
    I love the word change! There is so much I need to change...I need to actually go to the gym I pay for! lol! Happy 2014 and I can't wait to hear about your success!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. My word is brave. I will be brave enough to voice my opinion, brave enough to say no when social pressures tell me to say yes, brave in letting go of things that are weighing down my happiness, brave it trying new things at work and for myself, brave in not worrying so much about what others think of my actions.... BRAVE... is it measurable? Not so much. Will it make me a better me? Certainly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brave-- an excellent word! My friend Trisha chose joy, and she's starting a joy jar to put a little note in every time she finds joy :) Maybe you need a brave bucket! Here's to a fabulous 2014 for you! Love you!

      Delete