In 2014, my word was more. In 2015, it was less. Last year I didn't write a post, but I always think about words in January--I love thinking of one word to inspire me all year. This year I didn't have to think at all-- my word found me.
Joy. It was everywhere. And especially in books that I read. And it didn't matter if the book was a professional or personal read. The message of finding happiness and joy kept repeating like a favorite soundtrack. I saw it on shirts, on bracelets, and in quotes. Even on a Christmas card!
Here's my top 10 list of joy inspired ideas for this year-- mostly from the books at the end of this post!
1. Look for tiny pleasures and find joy in unexpected places. Sunsets, a beautiful double rainbow, a beautiful song on my commute are some I've noticed lately!
2. Do something kind for someone each day.
3. Worry less. Worrying is the enemy of joy and it rarely makes a difference.
4. Exercise. Being healthy makes us feel happy, especially when we can get out in nature. I need more of this!
5. Live simply. Love people, not things. And I'm inspired to simplify at home-- a clean and simple place filled with things I love makes me feel calm and happy. I'm hoping that buying less stuff will help us save and also have enough money for fun experiences and emergencies.
6. Make a list of things I enjoy and do them with people I love. Spending time with my family is something I love and don't do enough of.
7. Prioritize my time. A paraphrase from "You Can Buy Happiness..." is "time is the only real wealth." I need to realize that I can't do everything and I need to CHOOSE what is important whether it's at work or in my personal life. I'll strive to work hard at work and be more present at home.
8. Lead with joy! Focus on finding happiness and joy in my work. Be joy! Share joy! Appreciate others. Celebrate and dance every day.
9. Use my Panda Planner for prioritizing, planning, reflecting, and gratitude.
10. Choose joy every day. I bought this sign for my office- although it is a purchase of a "thing" I love inspiration and making it visible helps me keep it front and center in my life.
How will you find joy this year?
I love to read books!
The books below are filled with the message of joy-- leading and living with joy.
I highly recommend all of them!
Lead with joy.