Sunday, November 8, 2015

What did I do today? #threethings


I like to think that I'm organized. That I'm an efficient person and school leader. Every single day I feel a sense of purpose. I love my work. 

And I struggle.

At the end of the day, I often look back and wonder if I accomplished anything at all. According to my FitBit, I average 13,000 steps at work. I'm going places. I'm in classrooms. I'm connecting with kids and families and teachers.

But am I getting anything done? My to-do list is the bane of my existence. I've moved it to the Google tasks calendar. I'm checking off things here and there but it grows faster than a California wildfire. 

This week, the number 3 is calling my name. I'm inspired to do three things. 

Three.

Last April, Joe Sanfelippo sent me a message via Voxer about his "three things". You can read his blog post where he describes his three. But ever since last April, I've been thinking about THAT vox. The concept of "three things" is a topic for one of our upcoming staff meetings. I've played that vox probably ten times. 

His idea was simple, yet brilliant. What three things do I want to accomplish at the end of the day so that I can feel good about my day?

Then, last week, in another Voxer group focused on finding balance in life and work, Jen Duston shared her strategy for getting things done each day. Her idea, also simple and brilliant: 

  1. Identify three things to get done. 
  2. Allocate a 45 minute chunk of time for each item.
  3. If you finish early, fill the remaining time with something awesome.
For me, the spirit of "three things" starts tomorrow. 

Here are my three things for each day:
  1. Prioritize three things to complete and do them in 45 minute chunks of time.
  2. Show appreciation in writing.
  3. Take 10 minutes each day to eat lunch and have a quiet moment.*
*Yes, this is a real goal. Many days I don't eat lunch or stop for just 10 minutes to breathe, think and recharge. So many of my principal friends share this struggle! 

Every day, I put kids first. I get into classrooms. I'm out and about in my school. I like to think I'm good at what I do.

But I can do better-- starting with three things, posted where I can see them, every day!

1 comment: