Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Notice #gratitude

image credit
As a kid, my dad always told me I should slow down. As an adult, my dad tells me to slow down. "You're always on the go." And he's right. I like to go places. I like to drive places. I like to see people. In a recent blog post, Amy Fadeji reflects on being on the move, and her post really resonated with me. I think it's just who I am. 

And yet, I've felt this year a need to intentionally slow down. To take a breath. To reflect. To just be. 

I'm not good at it. 

I have to intentionally plan to be more mindful. I write it down. I set an alarm to take 10 minutes of quiet at work. I walk. Sunday, I walked 12 miles, today 11. It was beautiful.

About a month ago, our counselor Caroline Hines showed me this TED Talk called Nature. Beauty. Gratitude, and we watched it at one of our staff meetings. 

It reminds us to notice our surroundings. To notice people. 

And I've been noticing more. 



Here are a few quotes from the TED Talk that I can't stop thinking about:

"Begin by opening your eyes and be surprised that you have eyes you can open, that incredible array of colors that is constantly offered to us for pure enjoyment. Look at the sky. We so rarely look at the sky.We so rarely note how different it is from moment to moment, with clouds coming and going. We just think of the weather, and even with the weather, we don't think of all the many nuances of weather. We just think of good weather and bad weather. This day, right now, has unique weather, maybe a kind that will never exactly in that form come again. That formation of clouds in the sky will never be the same as it is right now. Open your eyes. Look at that."

"Look at the faces of people whom you meet. Each one has an incredible story behind their face, a story that you could never fully fathom, not only their own story, but the story of their ancestors. We all go back so far, and in this present moment, on this day, all the people you meet, all that life from generations and from so many places all over the world flows together and meets you here like a life-giving water, if you only open your heart and drink. "

This week, I'm so thankful for my life, the beauty that surrounds us, and all of the people I have had the opportunity to meet. I'm grateful to have time to walk, to travel, and to connect with so many people who shape my life and me. 

By taking time, I notice more. 

Beautiful friends 
Fall colors
The reflection of clouds
Sun on the water
People who inspire and energize me
The Golden Gate
Lines and signs
Sunsets from home
What do you notice?

No comments:

Post a Comment