Monday, January 1, 2018

Passionate Readers #readingidentity


I'm reading Pernille Ripp's Passionate Readers and am just finishing up the first chapter focused on teacher reading identity. I love that THIS is where the book begins, and am reminded of how important it is for us to live as readers and share our reading lives with students. Just seven pages in, Pernille poses these questions for reflecting on our own reading identity. They definitely gave me a lot to think about!

Are you a reader? Yes!

What types of books do you reach for when you are relaxing? All kinds! Inspirational professional books, historical fiction, and mystery are probably my favorites.

What types of books do you abandon? This question was interesting, I don't think I have ever officially abandoned a book- that feels a bit like quitting. But there are definitely books that I have stopped reading and they live in my to read pile. Some I may never go back to. I think about Daring Greatly, a book I loved. I started it and just couldn't get into it, and about a year later I went back to it and read it in a few days. I think sometimes it's just not the right time for a book. Or maybe I need to get better at actually abandoning books. Why do I feel bad about breaking up with a book? I have issues.

How quickly do you abandon a book? See above.

How do you share what you have read with others? I share in person, on Voxer, at book club, in Facebook groups, on Goodreads, and on Twitter. And I blog. I used to share more with students when I was in the classroom. I want to get better at this as a principal.

Whom do you share it with? Friends, family,  and colleagues in my school and district and across the country.

What would you like to do when you have finished a book? Put it on my Goodreads list. Because goals. 

How do you do in book discussions? I like to listen and talk.

What are your book gaps, meaning what do you not read? Ew to science fiction. I have tried and tried. I just can't get into that genre. My book club even did a gap challenge as a theme one time and I still had a hard time.  Dystopian is as close as I can get. I also don't love classics. But I do like mostly everything else!

Would you consider yourself a bad, average, or good reader? Good.
What type of reading experience would you like your students to have? I want them to love reading and to feel like they are readers!

My most recent book stack. I did finish The BFG and The Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet and have added a few new books since this picture was taken. So many books!

No comments:

Post a Comment