Saturday, November 15, 2014

Mindset Morning #positive #purposeful

image credit
I used to have this Confucius quote as my Facebook profile picture, about two years ago. Back then, I was running about 25 miles a week and was training for my third half marathon. Although I was running slowly, I was running pretty consistently. 

And then I stopped. 

That thing I said I would never do. Since getting a new job as an administrator in June 2013, I hadn't run more than a few times. I missed it. But I just couldn't find the time. The morning seemed impossible- my 35 minute commute meant I had to leave my house by 6:30, and I was waking up at 5:30. By the time I got home in the evening, usually after 6, I was usually too tired or too busy cooking dinner to fit in any exercise at all.

I felt out of shape. I felt guilty. I wanted to run again.

About the same time I was thinking this, I got connected to Jessica Johnson through the School Administrator Virtual Mentor Program (#SAVMP). She is an amazing elementary principal in Wisconsin. In one of our conversations on Voxer, I heard her mention running and I asked her how she found the time. Did she just make it a priority and make the time?

Her answer was yes, and she also recommended reading The Miracle Morning, a book by Hal Elrod. She shared that it had completely changed her life. I followed her advice and read the book. Amazing. 


Chris Taylor summarizes the idea of the miracle morning in his blog post:

"The Miracle Morning is, quite simply, about planning and living your life (goals, aspirations, exercise, mental and spiritual health) before you address your life situation. (Your current responsibilities, demands and activities.) Though he accounts for all lifestyles and schedules, Hal recommends taking 60 minutes, in the morning, on activities that bring peace and clarity to your life: Silence, Affirmations, Visualization, Exercise, Reading, Scribing (Journaling or writing in a diary). He even came up with a handy acronym – Life S.A.V.E.R.S."

I'm on day 6 and I love how I feel. I'm not following his exact outline, but it's working for me. During the week, I wake up at 4:45 and take a 20 minute walk. During my walk, it's dark and silent and beautiful. I'm visualizing my day then and saying positive things to myself in my mind. I come home and write in my journal, set my goals for the day, reflect, plan, and enjoy my coffee. I don't feel rushed and I'm loving starting my day with a positive and purposeful mindset. 

On the weekends, I've been running- slowly, but I'm running again. I'm so excited and since I've started my own miracle mornings I've run or walked a total of 17 miles. Twice this week I ran 4 miles all at once. I've found a new running partner, too-- my crazy puppy Lola. She runs the whole way! I've been running by the lake near where I live and it's so beautiful out there. 

Lake Natoma in Folsom, California
Lola
And I look forward to getting up every morning. I can't believe how different I feel. It's just another reason I'm so thankful to have so many connections to inspiring people. Who knew my road back to running would come from Wisconsin?

Thank you Jessica for the fabulous book recommendation!



No comments:

Post a Comment